The creative outlet of Anthony Munkholm: thanks for reading

Healing through my words:


Life doesn't give you the people you want,
it gives you the people you need:
to love you, to hate you, to make you, to break you, & to make you the person you were meant to be. -unknown




Love can and will come to those who still believe in it. Hope is the key. Even when faced with disappointment love will still find a way. Even after betrayal love will still knock on your door. Love will come to those who have been hurt before. I will never give up on love. I will even love those who no longer love me. Love is all there is and all there ever will be. -me




I believe I have been given an opportunity to share my successes and my struggles, my up's and my down's, the good and the bad with those who find their way to my blog. I feel I have been given a gift to write. I feel in my heart part of my gift to the world comes through my words. My greatest joy comes through expressing myself here. I write for myself but I feel compelled to share it with you too. I believe in love, compassion, and understanding which I share here.














Thursday, November 11, 2010

For Veterans

Surrendering part of yourself,
Commitment to those who go through the struggle with you,
Walking into the unknown with only those who stand next to you,
Praying to God that you will come home safe,

Finding comfort in those who use to be complete strangers,
Swallowing your fears and anxieties,
Security now comes in the form of an M-16 and Kevlar vest,
Hoping the training was enough,

Trying to remember you simply have a job to do,
Asking yourself is this what I really signed up for,
Holding onto the image of your wife’s crying face as you part her,
Swearing you will make it back to her,

Missing the little things,
A hot shower,
A quiet night,
The sense of security of your own home,
The smell of a woman,

Counting down the days till you are home,
Making new friends,
Having some good laughs,
Realizing it is not always so bad,

Grateful for the experience I have had,
Excited to get on that plane,
Anxious to return home,
Anticipating what I will do first,

First step off that plane,
How I love this new sense of freedom,
An urge to bend down and kiss the ground,
And then...

There she is, the reason I was able to make it through those days,
A sense of joy that cannot be described,
I pick her up and swing her around,
Welcome home.

To all of the Veterans on this day, while I wish we would find an answer to the world’s problems that does not involve violence, I have been there done that. And because of that experience I will forever respect those who have gone before us and gave up everything for a mission greater than themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment